Last year we saw the water levels in the Great Lakes rise to record levels and this year they are expected to be even higher. With many Michigan State Parks along the shoreline, some of them have had to make changes or adjustments to the campgrounds because of the high water levels.
Here is a list of parks that have been effected
- Muskegon State Park Because of the high water levels The channel campground will not be open to reservations in 2020. If the flooding subsides next spring and if the campground and its facilities are acceptable, the campground will be opened at that time for walk-ins only
- Young State State Park Due to high groundwater levels, several sites have been closed for the foreseeable future. The affected site numbers are: 20, 21, 24-30, 52-62, 135-137, 139, 153, 155, 157, 159, 172, 174, 176, 178, 181-189.
- Harrisville State Park Sites along Lake Huron have been closed due to high water level
- Leelanau State Park Because of high water flooding in October on a portion of the campground road a few sites are temporarily closed. In the spring it will be evaluated to determine if they will be open in the summer.
- Fishermans Island Campground The road between the North and South Campgrounds has become impassable, therefore the South Campground will be closed until the road can be evaluated in the spring.
This is the list of campgrounds that I am aware of that have been affected by the rising lake levels. I would expect other parks may be affected as the summer goes on but hopefully the lakes will lower and things will get better. Also, be aware that beaches and other areas near the lakes such as hiking trails or boat launches that may be affected. Expect many beaches to be small again this year like they were last year.
Thank you for Subscribing to Camp Michigan, If you have not subscribed yet, It would mean a lot to me if you did.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”” subscribe_text=” enter your email address, I promise I won’t send you any spam, it’s just an automated email that lets you know there is a new post to read” subscribe_button=”Sign Me Up”]